Looking to hire a string quartet in Raleigh NC but not sure how to talk with them about what you want for your wedding music? The following terms should help!
Terms | String Quartet in Raleigh NC
- Gavotte - A 17th century dance written in Quadruple time, always beginning on the third beat of the measure.
- Galliard - Music written for a lively French dance for two performers written in triple time.
- Fugue - A composition written for three to six voices. Beginning with the exposition, each voice enters at different times, creating counterpoint with one another.
- Fourth - The interval between two notes. Two whole tones and one semitone make up the distance between the two notes.
- Forte - A symbol indicating to play loud.
- Form - The structure of a piece of music.
- Flat - A symbol indicating that the note is to be diminished by one semitone.
- Finale - Movement or passage that concludes the musical composition.
- Fifth - The interval between two notes. Three whole tones and one semitone make up the distance between the two notes.
- Fermata - To hold a tone or rest held beyond the written value at the discretion of the performer.
- Falsetto - A style of male singing where by partial use of the vocal chords, the voice is able to reach the pitch of a female.
- Expressionism - Atonal and violent style used as a means of evoking heightened emotions and states of mind.
- Exposition - The first section of a movement written in sonata form, introducing the melodies and themes.
- Etude - A musical composition written solely to improve technique. Often performed for artistic interest.
- Espressivo - A direction to play expressively.
- Ensemble - The performance of either all instruments of an orchestra or voices in a chorus.
- Enharmonic Interval - Two notes that differ in name only. The notes occupy the same position. For example: C sharp and D flat.
- Energico - A symbol in sheet music a direction to play energetically.
- Encore - A piece of music played at the end of a recital responding to the audiences’ enthusiastic reaction to the performance, shown by continuous applause.
- Elegy - An instrumental lament with praise for the dead.
- Dynamics - Pertaining to the loudness or softness of a musical composition. Also the symbols in sheet music indicating volume.
- Duet - A piece of music written for two vocalists or instrumentalists.
- Drone - Dull, monotonous tone such as a humming or buzzing sound. Also a bass note held under a melody.
- Dissonance - Harsh, discordant, and lack of harmony. Also a chord that sounds incomplete until it resolves itself on a harmonious chord.
- Development - Where the musical themes and melodies are developed, written in sonata form.
- Deceptive cadence - A chord progression that seems to lead to resolving itself on the final chord; but does not.
- Da Capo - In sheet music, an instruction to repeat the beginning of the piece before stopping on the final chord.
- Courante - A piece of music written in triple time. Also an old French dance.
- Counterpoint - Two or three melodic lines played at the same time.
- Contralto - Lowest female singing voice.
- Consonance - Groups of tones that are harmonious when sounded together as in a chord.
- Conductor - One who directs a group of performers. The conductor indicates the tempo, phrasing, dynamics, and style by gestures and facial expressions.
- Concerto - A composition written for a solo instrument. The soloist plays the melody while the orchestra plays the accompaniment.
- Concert master - The first violin in an orchestra.
- Coda - Closing section of a movement.
We hope these terms help you when you go to hire a string quartet in Raleigh NC. If you need more assistance, be sure to visit with other blogs that feature wedding music terms, below:
- Wedding Music Terms to Know
- More Wedding Music Terms to Know
- Wedding Music Terms
Looking for a String Quartet for a Wedding in Raleigh NC?
Our wedding music planner can help you pick the best string trio in Raleigh NC for your wedding day! Contact Save the Date Music to ensure that your wedding day music makes a lasting impression on your guests. Make your wedding event simple and beautiful with the most recommended music planner in the Raleigh NC area!